Ultimate Concern


Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we all ought to be worried about our own souls, and other people's bellies. -- Rabbi Israel Salanter 1810-1883

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Religious Literacy in Virtual Worlds

Compared to more conventional, traditional approaches to the study of religion and the establishment of viable, cohesive spiritual paths, I see myself as fringe. It may be true that the sweetest fruits are often those farthest out on the limb, but it can feel isolating being out there, with no other tenants on the branch.

Then I run into things like the video I've posted below and suddenly I feel much more accompanied on my wild ride. It's easy to see how religious literacy and virtual worlds are entwined in something like this. Becoming literate about a faith tradition is the very thing that may allow one to reclaim faith and establish a faith practice that includes all of what the individual deems significant.

Virtual realities can enhance religious literacy: here's an example.


No comments: